Thursday, May 5, 2011

Reebok ZigTechs ReeRok!

I am always a little nervous when I change my running shoes, but then again I'm always keen to try something new, especially if it is pitched from some tech, new-fad angle. I just can't resist. So when I first laid eyes on Reebok's ZigTech shoes I was immediately wooed. I could see me in a pair of these, computer designed with enough research to develop a fleet of shuttles, and so on. Quickly I was on the Web trying to see what people thought. But as is typically the case there were only a few reviews - but mostly by those who blindly followed Reebok and said "of course they will be great" or those who were anti-Reebok and said "they are junk (even though I haven't tried them)" - of course the part in brackets was not included.

However, I could not take this decision lightly. I am busy preparing to run the big 89km (56 mile) Comrades Marathon in May. I can't have shoes that will not work...but then again, the tech, the possibilities...so I took the leap and got a pair. Tentatively I took them out for a short 8km run, as this always gives an early indicator if something is not right...and my feet returned happy. But the real test is only when I run over 2 hours, as then any strange rubbing, weird footfalls will be revealed. So a few days later they got to go on their next big outing, a 30km training run. Once more my feet returned happy. Subsequent to that I ran in my Reebok ZigTechs multiple times as we prepared for our Comrades long training run, the 56km Two Oceans marathon. This would be the real test where my Zigs would be my close companion for nearly 6 hours.

How did they do? The Zigs went unnoticed! I did not even realise I was wearing them...not once. This is the ultimate testimony to a great pair of running shoes. They should not make themselves noticed. They should feel natural on your feet, and just do their job. And then I did notice, as I slipped them off at the end of the race. For the first time in all the years I have run marathons and ultramarathons, I had not a single blister - and no black toenails! This time my feet were really smiling.

So, in short, for me, my ZigTech Reeboks have been superb. I had the best race (and fastest time too) for the 56km Two Oceans marathon. The ultimate test is still to come, when they join me on the 89km Comrades journey - the ultimate human race. But I'm confident my feet will be in good company. If I have a complaint, its that the Zigs are not designed for off road running. They have a voracious appetite for stones...as small stones get embedded in the zig design and then you clunk along sounding like tap-dancing zebra. But, use them for what they are designed for - road running - and you'll give your feet (and legs) a great party! These Reeboks Rock!

No comments:

Post a Comment